Funding Requests

Town Council has elected to allocate funding opportunities in two phases of approximately $1.1 million each. The first phase includes $500,000 for land conservation and preservation, $500,000 for property acquisition, and $100,000 for nonprofits. The second phase of funding will be discussed around late summer to early fall of 2023.

Qualifying nonprofits may now apply for funding for one-time expenditures. Examples include new equipment or vehicles, building improvements, or other capital needs. The Town is currently committed to a cost-share amount of 90-10, which means the Town would fund 90% of the cost of a purchase and the nonprofit would be responsible for the remaining 10%. See below for an example for the purchase of a $40,000 vehicle. 

New vehicle - $40,000

Town Match - 90%

Nonprofit Match - 10%

$40,000 x 90% = $36,000

$40,000 x 10% = 4,000

Based upon the number of applications received and financial feasibility of the selected projects, the Town may opt to lower its match to something like 80-20. 

It is important to note that any nonprofit group applying for one-time ARPA funds is not disqualified from applying for operational funding needs or other resources during the usual budget development process in the spring of 2023. These are two different funding sources.

Submittal Process Schedule

Interested organizations must submit one electronic copy, in searchable PDF format, and four hard copies of a full response to the Request for Proposal included below:

Town of Mills River Request for Proposal: Grant Funding Through the American Rescue Plan Act of 2021

The Town will host a pre-proposal conference at Town Hall prior to the proposal due date to clarify issues regarding eligibility and proposal requirements. This meeting will be conducted in person with an online option available. This meeting is not mandatory, however, interested parties are encouraged to attend.

The following schedule is anticipated for the solicitation and award process:              

Request for Proposal Release DateFriday, February 24, 2023
Pre-Submittal ConferenceThursday, March 16, 2023
Deadline for Written QuestionsThursday, March 23, 2023
Proposals DueMonday, April 3, 2023 by 5:00 pm
Selection Committee EvaluationsThursday, April 6, 2023
Evaluation Results to CouncilThursday, April 13, 2023
Anticipated Notice of AwardMonday, May 1, 2023

All questions regarding this Request for Proposals should be submitted via email to Daniel Cobb at  

Qualifying nonprofits are those which:

  1. Use a location within Mills River's corporate limits for its primary service place.
  2. Has an office in Mills River.
  3. Has a majority of Mills River residents in its service population.
  4. Conducts a majority of its activities and programs in Mills River.
  5. Is a regional organization which focuses a significant program in Mills River, but otherwise conduct business and operations outside of Mills River .