The Planning and Zoning Department is responsible for a variety of tasks within the Town of Mills River. These include land development review, zoning and subdivision permitting, watershed and stormwater permitting, code enforcement, and all long-range land use and transportation planning.
The Planning Department reviews development projects to ensure they are in compliance with adopted ordinances, codes, and regulations and maintains policy documents such as the Comprehensive Plan, Official Zoning Map, and the Powell Bill Map.
Here are some of the most prominent functions of our department:
- Furthering the Town's vision through studies, plans, policies, and programs
- Encouraging new and expanded investment and development
- Administering and enforcing development ordinances
- Reviewing proposed development plans
- Planning for the long-term physical needs of the community
- Supporting Town activities relating to mapping and geographic data
- Coordinating planning efforts with local, regional, state, and federal agencies